Being happy at work relies on more what’s happening in the workplace itself. It relies on good physical, emotional and mental health too.
We grow our salmon and conduct our business operations to a variety of:
- Internationally recognised certifications and standards
- UK retailer codes of practice and product specifications
- RSPCA welfare standards for farmed Atlantic salmon
- Code of Good Practice for Scottish Finfish Aquaculture.
We undergo over 300 audits every year: a mix of internal audits carried out by our own quality assurance team and independent audits by regulators, certification bodies and retailers.
Many of these independent audits – some so detailed that they take up to three days to complete – are unannounced with no prior notice of the inspector’s arrival.
Occasionally, where inspectors have to travel to our most remote locations, 24 hours’ notice is given to ensure there will be a member of the Quality Assurance team present to observe the audit.
Quality assurance team
Helping ensure that we deliver on the exemplary standards expected of food producers is our dedicated 24-strong Technical team. They are responsible for:
- Implementing and maintaining a comprehensive quality assurance system – covering fish welfare standards, product safety, product quality and sustainability
- Educating teams in the relevant systems and procedures – making sure employees are competent, trained and engaged in upholding best practice, and aware of any updates to standards or certifications
- Continued internal monitoring and auditing – to ensure we are meeting legislative, customer and company requirements and identify any scope for further improvements or preventative measures
- Preparing for independent external audits by third parties – from regulators and recognised certification bodies, to leading UK retailers including M&S and Waitrose
- Testing our salmon against a range of microbiological and environmental hygiene indicators – using a combination of our own in-house laboratory and independently accredited food-testing laboratories
Quality assurance team
Our Technical team also have an instrumental role to play in driving continual improvement. For example:
- Reviewing CCTV footage of the harvesting process on a regular basis – ensuring activities are being carried out in accordance with best practice in animal welfare
- Analysing centrally stored data – looking for any common themes that can be enhanced further
- Partnering suppliers – helping bring about further improvement across the sector.